Friday, May 17, 2013

Same Old Argument...

I have a confession. I HATE it when people claim that a library "in the day and age of the internet" is useless. Pointless. Outdated. Dead.

This especially bothers me when an article is written touting that libraries are useless, pointless, outdated, and dead when the writer of that article admits to never having set foot in one.... 

Really?

I came across this amazing blog post by Ingrid Henny Abrams. She addresses this article with such fervor that I wanted to jump up and yell "Amen!" Must we scream our message from the tops of buildings to get the point across? We can't do it by ourselves. Ingrid brings up a valuable point that this type of article gets out there, yet where are our patrons? We need you! We need you to advocate just as loudly for libraries as those who are against libraries. Better yet, we can do this together.

As a side note, this woman's wardrobe is awesome! I wonder if I could get away with pink hair at  the library....that would be keen....




4 comments:

  1. That's a pretty lady, but that's not me! Or is that you? Thanks for sharing the article. We have a new project going called Librarians Changed My Life, where we ask patrons to weigh in: http://librarieschangedmylife.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! This is how often I check on my blog these days...er, years...that photo is of me while I was a student employee at the Boise State Library ;) (Thanks for getting me motivated to start up mu blog by the way!! I want to write for fun again!)

      Delete
  2. The question should be, "Why couldn't you get away with pink hair at the library?" I mean, really.

    ReplyDelete