Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Frank Lloyd Wright Day is June 7th

I will definitely be attending some of this event on Friday. http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/wsunews/news/?nid=2138

My grandfather was a Wright enthusiast, and it showed in the plans that he drew up for the 1964 addition to the house on Logan St. The angles and materials Grandpa Brown selected were indicative of Wright's style and is still a very unique design.

As much as I liked the old part of the house, the newer part was always my favourite area. There was just something about the design of the second living room, dining room, and kitchen. It was quite some time before I heard anything about Wright and his architectural work. When I saw some of Wright's work and Grandpa's architectural plans next to each other, it became clear to me who Grandpa looked up to as an artist.

There were of course other reasons why I liked this section of the house. The family spent more time in here for holiday gatherings, nibbling on the simple dinners (which eventually turned into four course meals because Grandpa would always add on to the menu much to Grandma's amusement), watching television, and general "chit-chats." This section of the house is where I destroyed my first birthday cake, had my first sip of gin and tonic from Grandma's glass, and said my first curse word (I was three). Good times.

I will post photos of the Frank Lloyd Wright tour later on Friday. For now, here is the link to some of the architecture details courtesy of the College of Education website.


No comments:

Post a Comment